I saw the angels sing a long to wake up the beautiful sleeping world

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Adaptation

In last week’s class meeting, we screened the film Adaptation. After a rough couple of days leading up to the first of April, I wasn’t really excited about the thought of sitting in a room for hours watching a film. I hovered towards the back like the other slackers do and tried to blend in with the crowd to the point where few would remember seeing me there at all.

The opening monologue of the film was one of the first stream of consciousness scenes that I can remember. I thought that it was definitely longer than it should have been and seemed to be the ramblings of someone who had lost touch with the real world. Donna said she tried to save the best for last, but I must admit, for the first 5-10 minutes of this work, I was ready to run for the doors. Anyone that knows me could tell you that I am far from the world’s most patient person, and when I am as run down physically and emotionally as I was that night, I don’t care for movies that are confusing, or take a long time to develop cohesion and comprehension.

For the longest time, I could not tell you who had written the Orchid Thief. Looking back on it now, it seems rather foolish, but I simply could not figure out what exactly Cage’s character was attempting to do. At first, it seemed as though he was simply trying to write a book. The way that the story of the work was recounted visually made it seem like he was reporting on some events that had occurred in the past. I’m still not quite sure whether the movie was just confusing, or whether I was fighting my impending unconsciousness. It all became clear in the end though.

I rather enjoyed the scenes with the toothless man. Forgive my inability to remember character names. I think I liked that character so much because, in a way, he is much like I am. We both have a unique way of looking at the world that, in most cases, leaves people thinking we’re complete assholes when all is said and done. I don’t know what it is about me or him that seems to bother people so much, but I definitely admire his individuality.

Looking back at the film overall, I’m not quite sure whether I have completely unraveled what exactly took place. I am aware that some of the scenes did not actually occur and that the timeline was rather out of order. There are just some films that you have to screen a few times to gain complete understanding. I enjoyed the film overall, and I would rather enjoy sitting through it again.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, Michael. I kept waiting for the ramblings of Nicholas Cage at the beginning to end. I felt like I was trapped inside his mind and wanted nothing more than to get out. And in the beginning, I thought that he was so pathetic and depressing and was hoping that his character did not foreshadow the ending. But in the end, he did. I was disappointed in the ending, probably because I'm a sucker for a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ramblings at the beginning and throughout the film were pretty annoying to me. I understood the point, but then sometimes it lasted too long. It actually made me think of Family guy when Peter fights the chicken. It's funny at first, but then it just gets too elaborate and takes a bit too long. Both are entertaining, but could learn to shorten up a bit. Overall, a pretty interesting movie.

    ReplyDelete